Saturday 2 January 2010

The Top Ten Albums of the Year - 2009

2009 was another epic year of music for me. In all this year the highlight was seeing Neil Young accompanied on stage by Sir Paul McCartney as he closed his Hyde Park Hard Rock Calling set with A Day in the Life. Other highlights included seeing Fleet Foxes, The Arctic Monkeys, who now hold the title for best live gig, based on expectation against actual experience. I expected them to be good, but man, they were so good, they have entered the level of rock gods, and most of them are barely out of puberty. Them Crooked Vultures supporting Arctic Monkeys enabled me to say I've seen Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and John Paul Jones, which made me very happy. Josh Tillman of Fleet Foxes was another unexpected treat for the year, and Seasick Steve, once again made me realise just how brilliant live music is. But this is a list of the best albums of the year, and so here goes...

10. Jay Z - The Blueprint III

I'm not a big fan of rap music, and my collection stretches to Dr. Dre's 2001. But there is something utterly infectious about Jay Z's latest, and it has constantly been an album I listen to in order to improve my mood, or just chill out and hear some great beats.

9.Ludovico Einaudi - Nightbook

A wonderful work of classical music. Einaudi's music is haunting, hypnotic, allowing you to float along in the beautiful stream of emotions the music conjures up within you. This is one of the finest works of music I have heard in the past year.


8. Pearl Jam - Backspacer

Another band I knew nothing about before the start of 2009. My knowledge is still limited, but this album has occupied a lot of my Spotify playlists over the past few months, and it feels an integral part of the past year.


7. Doves - Kingdom of Rust

Doves are one of my favourite bands and Kingdom of Rust explains exactly why. A great sound dovetails with great lyrics, Kingdom of Rust may not be their finest work, but its instantly brilliant and you can't help by be overcome by their unique sound.


6. Muse - The Resistance

I didn't even like Muse before 2009. Now, I see it. And The Resistance is one of their most enjoyable, iconic and brilliant albums. I look forward to exploring and appreciating their music further over the coming years.


5. Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - It's Blitz

A plethora of wonderful songs which make you want to dance in the street, as you ipod pumps them at full volume into your ears.


4. Florence and the Machine - Lungs

A lot of new bands have emerged in the past year, but few as vocaly gifted and musically accomplished as Florence and the Machine. Not a bad song on the album, which weaves its way through throbbing fast paced beats and slower, comtemplative numbers, its the album you just can not turn off.


3. Fever Ray - Fever Ray

Haunting, atmospheric, masterful. Fever Ray found me through a five star review in the Guardian which called it the best album of the decade. There weren't far wrong. Superb lyrics, an astonishing voice and a soundscape that makes your ears bleed with joy.


2. Mumford and Sons - Sign No More

The album I just cannot stop listening too. Little Lion Man is the single of the year, and that almost every song on the album is as good, and makes you just want to go out and enjoy life. The Mumford and Sons are most definitely my new favourite band.


1. The Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

It may not have the catchy energy of their debut, or the frenetic pace of Favourite Worst Nightmare, but Humbug is more mature, more intelligent and has a greater range. Put simply its the most accomplished and complete album Arctic Monekys have released, and it may not have the cultural significance now but in time Humbug may be the most important album the band ever produce.

As you may have guessed, my musical knowledge isn't great and most of what I have heard this past year has come from recommendations and heard on Spotify. But as Spotify is such a wonderful creation, I hope to expand my music knowledge in 2010 and beyond.

No comments: