Wednesday 13 May 2009

Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D - Review

So, the 3D revolution is upon us. Having been to Universal Studios in America I've seen Shrek and Terminator's short 3D rides which I both thoroughly enjoyed. There was a sense of occasion, queuing up and collecting the glasses before sitting down and facing a massive screen which projected its 3D images. The Terminator stayed with me longer with a cleverly devised little story and actors actually appearing on stage as part of the story. When I came out I felt I could tick 3D film of the list of cinematic experiences I've always wanted to do, IMAX and outdoor cinema have also since been ticked off, but still not drive-thru experience. But 3D films always struck me as something of a gimmick. I've seen Friday the 13th Part 3 and the scenes shot in 3D are blatant and actually somewhat distracting, especially not in 3D. Unlike colour and sound which changed to feeling of film and HD which is a technological advancement which is yet to convince me, 3D never felt like it would actually take over cinema, and I still feel 2D films will reign supreme. I don't know if it is that being a glasses wearer I have to sit in the cinema with 3D specs in front on my glasses or the fact that enjoying the experience involves wearing glasses but I went to see Monsters Vs Aliens with high hopes that I would be converted to the revolution. I wasn't.

But maybe not because of the 3D. Monsters Vs. Aliens is an excellent childrens film but never scales the heights of recent animated fare from Pixar and bar the hilarious B.O.B voiced by Seth Rogen, none of the characters are very funny and story is simplistic and lacking in inventive imagination. It wasn't that I didn't have fun, it was that the story wasn't strong enough for me to forget I was watching a 3D film, and ultimately I think that's what it should do. 3D may be new, and I'm sure when people first watched Becky Sharp or The Jazz Singer they were distracted from the story by the technological advancement, but then neither are great films either.
For me, if 3D is to become the standard movie going experience then you should not be distracted. I'm never distracted by a black and white film, personally I find them more artistic looking, but Monsters Vs. Aliens lacked the great story and great character to make the experience cinematic rather than a novelty.

A first foray in 3D cinema was not the dissapointment I had expected, but at the same time I'm still unconvinced that 3D brings that much more to the cinematic experience and it still just feels like a gimmick to have things flying at you out of the screen. I enjoyed Monsters Vs. Aliens and anyone with kids will have happy campers if they take them to see it.

No comments: