Friday 12 December 2008

2 Page extract from Script

As I will be beginning a Screenwriting Masters in the new year and this blog was started to get me into the habit of writing consistently, this will be the first of a series of scenes, treatments and extracts from my screenwriting.

INT. BEDROOM – NIGHT

Small dressing table with a large mirror. It is filled with various beauty products. ISABELLA brushes her hair and looks at herself in the mirror as if it were a fashion photographer. Repositioning part of the mirror we see FRANK, a tall dark skinned man sitting shirtless in bed, tapping away at a typewriter.

ISABELLA:
You know dear, you’ve said nothing about my audition tomorrow.

FRANK:
Which audition is this, the modeling or the singing?

ISABELLA:
Modeling off course.
(as if to herself)
You know I've always wanted to be a model.

FRANK:
Of course dear. Good luck. I must get this scene finished if I'm to get this new job.

DISSOLVE TO:

Same bedroom, now a large, ornate dressing table. Cluttered with things; expensive necklaces, matching earrings, gold bracelets and other decadent jewellery. ISABELLA, now looking slightly older, but more confident, looks into the mirror as if she were the most beautiful woman in the world.

ISABELLA:
Did I tell you darling, I just got the Versace deal. I knew I would, but it’s still such a pleasant surprise.

Repositioning part of the mirror again, we see FRANK sitting on the bed. He wears glasses and reads through a script. He has barely moved from the previous position. He now wears a dressing gown and sports a three day beard.

FRANK:
Hmmm, good darling, good.
I’ve got a meeting tomorrow with the execs over at Warner’s so will have to cancel lunch.
ISABELLA looks at him in the mirror, a longing expression on her face. A look which suggests she’d rather he was looking at her than she at him.

DISSOLVE TO

Same dressing table. You can no longer see the table, it’s so cluttered with bits and pieces. ISABELLA looks at herself in the mirror. Her eyes are beginning to show the signs of crows feet. She leans in fingering her temples, examining them intently. She slumps in the chair rubbing her hands over her belly.

ISABELLA:
(to someone off screen)
I want to have a baby.

ISABELLA sits and waits for a response, expectantly.

FRANK enters frame behind her. She looks up at him, but he moves right past her, without so much as a glance.

FRANK:
I'm due on the lot early tomorrow, and will probably stay late, can we move our anniversary meal? The earliest I can do is next week.

ISABELLA:
I want a baby.

FRANK:
(O.S)
Think what it would do to your career. It’s too valuable to jeopardise with a child. Besides I'm far too busy.

ISABELLA looks lonely and miserable.

DISSOLVE TO

ISABELLA still looks miserable and lonely. She moves the mirror to see the bed, but it is empty. She looks at all the rubbish which now clutters her dressing table. Angrily she yells at the mirror. Pushes everything off the table and hurls an empty bottle of champagne, cracking the mirror.

ISABELLA:
(V.O.)
And that is all I can tell you about Frank.

No comments: